Monday, August 24, 2009

Let's Go Knights!


It's been such a long time since I've last blogged. I've been so busy with band camp at UCF and the hours were very long. But it finally ended yesterday and now it's on to normal practices. For Starlet Knights camp started the weekend before the rest of the band so I was running on an early schedule since last Saturday and it's been a killer. We learned a lot of easy flag work and since everything was pretty much the same, I kept mixing work while trying to figure them out. Nonetheless I got the work for Carmina down. =] I'm super excited that I'm finally not mixing that work. Every night there was a surprise for new members including myself. The past week, I went from a Neophyte, Squire, to finally an official Marching Knight. College band is so different from high school and I would so do it again to re-live the experience again. Just like winterguard, it's an incredible experience with people who have a passion for what they do. The staff and people are great and I'm so grateful to be part of such a great and well known organization.

On Friday, there was a performance show for sponsors who support the football team/athletic department and that was such a fun thing to do. (The picture of the UCF mini megaphone, pom poms, and mini football was taken from the event before we left.) Even though there wasn't as much space as I would have liked to perform in, it was still amazing. The whole band was spread out through out the arena and the sound of them playing was so great. I was nervous of course and I always end up being in the center of the performance floor right in front of the band director. There were so many times where I stopped spinning because I was so afraid that I would hit him. Jessica and I could not stop laughing. And that brings me back to one night of our practice outside on the field. The whole band including the guard was doing a full block and for the very first time we were marching with the percussion section. Jessica and I happened to be the last two in the block lines and were pretty much in our own little world. I messed up so barely and the whole entire time the whole percussion section was watching because during flanks, they don't move their body directions, only their feet. It was the most embarrassing thing ever. After the block ended, Jessica and I couldn't help but bust out laughing at what we have done. Even today we still find it incredibly funny, haha. The last two nights we were taught the pre-game block and I hold a permanent spot meaning I don't have to swing my spot with anyone. That pretty much means that I do not share my spot and I don't suck at what I do. And I'm not saying the people who do swing suck, I feel that my performance ability is a bit higher. Like I've said I have had the best spots ever and during pre-game, I am in the back with the rest of the guard; however, I'm in the pretty much the whole time around both of the 45 yard lines. I have to know my work and preform extremely well because I will be noticed if I cheat or do not perform full out. The final night of band camp, we did a couple of runs of pre-game and I think I did fairly well for never spun field guard before. I cannot wait to start learning the half-time shows. =]]

A lot more happened during the week of band camp but I'm just too lazy to write it all down.

Lesline's snack wrap from Mickey D's. during lunch. hahaha

I only wanted fries that afternoon with a large sweet tea.

Starting Wednesday afternoon, food was given to us and this is the yummy salad I had two plates of from the first day of food being offered. =] haha

Cheesy bread and fries from the Marketplace cafeteria where we were fed. It was so delicious. We were given a BBQ for dinner Saturday of band camp too.

It's been a long week and I was hoping to sleep in today but I think I got used to the early wake ups the past couple days. Anyway, I will have more to update tomorrow. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment